Exhibitions of the Huguenot museum
After the Great Elector Friedrich Wilhelm von Brandenburg issued the Edict of Potsdam in 1685, around 20,000 French religious refugees found asylum in Berlin and the Margraviate of Brandenburg. Their story is told in Berlin’s Huguenot museum on the basis of documents, paintings, engravings, books, manuscripts and medals. Together with the archives of the French Church and the historic library, Berlin’s Huguenot museum is located in the tower extension of the French Cathedral in Gendarmenmarkt. The body responsible for the museum is the consistory of the French Church in Berlin.
The exhibition examines the reasons that led to the flight of the protestants from France and traces the emergence of the French colonies in Berlin and the Margraviate of Brandenburg. The contribution of the skilled manual worker immigrants to the rise of Brandenburg-Prussia in the 18th century is made clear. Famous members of the Reformed community in Berlin are introduced, such as painter and etcher Daniel Chodowiecki or poet Theodor Fontane. The architectural history of the Cathedral and the adjacent French Church of Friedrichstadt are also documented up to the destructions in the Second World War. This plain baroque building was constructed by the Berlin Huguenots in 1701 – 1705 with their own money and their own craftsmen.
Over the coming years, internal renovation and thus restructuring of the permanent exhibition are planned. The enlarged exhibition area will then also offer space for special exhibitions in an area of approx. 400 m². You can look forward to many further insights into the topic of “Huguenots in Berlin and Brandenburg” and beyond.